Friday, August 10, 2012

Better Me Day 5 (5 to go)

I have a new blender. It puts my old blender to such shame that my old blender really can't even be considered a blender. It was more like a musher. I didn't buy anything pricey, but it is kinda fancy. With extra blades - check it out!


This Ninja really turns the ice to snow, really. What a huge difference in taste! So smooth!!

And my Beach Body coach turned me on to an online food tracker - My Fitness Pal. I was using another program on my phone, but this one is completely free - tracks all your food and exercise and is easy to use. There is also an app, with a FREE bar code scanner. How cool is that? You just scan the bars and the food pops up in your tracker. I'm not crazy about counting calories, but one thing I did learn in Weight Watchers is the importance for me to track my food. If I write it down (or type it, whatever) then I am accountable for what goes in my mouth. Makes a huge difference when deciding if something is worth eating or not.

My Fitness Pal - a real pal.
Food log:

B - Shake, PB2, banana, water

MS - apple/peanut butter

L - pita pocket, chicken, veggies, greek yogurt, minneola

AS - plain nonfat greek yogurt/blueberries

D - salad w/ grilled chicken, blue cheese, almonds

Workout - 3 mile run/walk

Love getting the exercise out of the way first thing in the morning!

One thing I am learning is the power of planning. I've set a timer on my phone to alert me when it's time for the snack (another great tip from my coach). I've written out my entire food plan for the week - breakfast, lunch, dinner and all snacks. We have a private Facebook group for this challenge, and we are posting our food daily for the group. I am cutting and pasting everyone's menus into a file so that I can steal their great ideas for meals & snacks. If I have to eat the same things for too long, I get bored. What better way to get great ideas than to steal them from others...right? Of course they are welcome to steal mine too.

I really want to succeed this time. 

A few days ago we our challenge was to come up with "Why" we are doing this, and fitness dream goals.

My "Why" is that I have let myself yo-yo for too long. I have been going up and down for the last 15 years or so. Last year I started running because I have always wanted to be a runner. I was in my early 40's and figured if I didn't do it now, I wouldn't ever be a runner. Running helped me lose some pounds initially, but now I need to shake things up a bit. I need a kick in the butt, is what I need. I lose some weight, and then I sabotage myself and gain a little back. My "why" is that I believe that I deserve to be healthy and that it's safe to invest in myself. 

I've tried low/no carb and while I lose weight, it's hard for me to maintain. Impossible for me to maintain. I've also started Weight Watchers, many times. It's a great program, but every time I try it, I eat too much processed food. I always ended up focusing on the number of points I could eat, rather than the actual food I could eat.

Early on in our challenge we had to state our smart goals - how we were going to succeed in these 10 days. These are mine:

Smart goals: 

1 - Run 3x weekly
2 - Track my meals daily 
3 - 64oz of water, at least, daily.


And lastly, we've had to come up with crazy awesome fitness goals for this time next year:

It will be crazy awesome when I can run a 5K race without walking (at all) in 30 minutes. 

It will be crazy awesome to train for a 1/2 marathon and run it next November.

It will be crazy, crazy awesome to be able to to 25 regular push-ups without having to drop on my knees.

Goals are great because they give you something to work for, and how you are going to accomplish them.

Five more days - what will come next??

Thanks for coming along for the ride!









Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. You are my hero my dear! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your crazy awesome goals!!! You will succeed at meeting every one of them!

    ReplyDelete

I do love comments - thanks for leaving me one!